-- I tried making hot process soap for the first time this week. I was afraid at first that it was getting too hot in the crockpot, and was turning orange (meaning that the goat milk was burning), but when it was finished and I added the fragrance oil, the color evened out and it looks like it should. I also used a new mold and lined it with freezer paper; the thicker "cooked" soap worked well and was very easy to unmold. It has a slightly different appearance too: it actually looks like banana nut bread as well as smelling delicious. It's not how I'd want to do all my soap all the time, but is kind of interesting for "sometimes" and for certain scents. The new mold yields slightly larger bars.
-- It was REALLY cold last night. I wish I'd managed to fix the broken latch on the goat shed door, but I didn't. I'm sure they all cuddled up together and kept each other warm. It was a rather rude awakening after our warm November.