The first stall is a success though, and I'm anxious to finish them all. This one measures 10'x13'. The horses all have assigned stalls at feeding time; the lucky horse that uses this stall really loves it. He walks in willingly, and is very calm while inside.
The temporary stall on the right in the photo is made with fence panels, and will be replaced with wood. The horses are tearing up the panels by rubbing on them, kicking at each other, standing on the bottom rung, and just creating general mayhem. In fact, we have replaced several panels and have a "panel graveyard" for the ones that have been destroyed.
Also in the photo, you can see that the barn wall is above the level of the ground. We need to bring in fill to bring up the level.
I've added a photo of the first stall in the goat barn here.