I'm still dealing with the fire, with the loss of the goats all in one feel swoop. Even though I've started over with a herd of four kids - now almost yearlings - I still miss my girls. There's a lot of guilt involved as well as sorrow.
According to the fire chief, it was an electrical fire that began near the panel. We don't know if it was just a random thing, or if one of the goats chewed through a wire or set off a spark in some other way. "After all," everyone says to me, "they were goats."
The original barn-raising post is here, built in April 2010.
I am so indebted to Cheryl, who brought her menfolk over to bury the goats for me while she took me on a walk, so that I could remember them as they were and not see the reality of what had happened.
Some of my 4H kids came with their parents that next weekend to help tear down the wreckage. Thank you, Mindy & Nathanual, Destiny, Morgan, Karen, Hannah, and also Chrissy and her teen helpers. I hate to admit that the twisted metal is all still piled up where we left it that day. Hopefully I'll get it cleaned up when the weather is warmer. It's time. I'm ready.
Thank you also to those who helped replace the hay and feed that burned. You know who you are, and I appreciate each of you.
Thank you to our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter who surprised us by flying in for a visit to help us do whatever needed to be done. With their help, we finished fencing in the hayfield so that the horses could graze, lessening the need for hay, but the true value of that visit was to take my mind off what had happened and help me establish a new routine that didn't include milking.
And thank you to all of you readers as well. Some have joined us here since that time, others found this blog because of that tragic day, and still others have been here from the beginning. Your support and prayers and comments helped me through that time, and I am thankful to all of you for being here.
Click Here to like Oak Hill Homestead on Facebook