When Chaos Reigns

While our daughter was visiting, I asked her to help me remove Rosie's stitches. When I picked up the dog after her spay surgery, the vet tech suggested I could take out the stitches myself after 10-14 days rather than go to the trouble of bringing the dog back to the office. I'm still trying to figure out whether he was being helpful - since the dog is huge and gets carsick - or if she was such a pain at the office that they didn't want her to come back.

Rosie as a puppy.

Hubby was in the hospital recovering from surgery when the time came to remove the dog's stitches, so I was thankful that they'd given me that option after all. Daughter spent several evenings making friends with the dog over the fence before we attempted it. Rosie is an LGD - a Livestock Guardian Dog - and is suspicious of strangers.

I found my stitch-removing scissors in the livestock first aid kit (not the human first aid kit where I looked first) and we headed outside to do the deed. I went in Rosie's pen first and ran my hand down her belly to see if she still had stitches - many of our animals have removed them for us in the past. Yes, two stitches remained.

Four months old

Daughter came in through the goats' gate... and the goats went out through the gate. Oh well, this wouldn't take us long. Daughter came through Rosie's gate, which is a complicated affair to open, and Rosie went out the gate. Rosie kept going and went out the goats' open gate and into the yard.

By this time the goats had discovered the apple tree in the yard, and they were all climbing the tree to reach the tender new leaves and baby fruit.

At seven months old, taken last week.

I sent my daughter to get the collars next to the milkstand, and we both tried to catch the goats, who were so excited about the fruit trees and the tall grass and the clover that they didn't want to be caught. I finally got a collar on Ziva and led her pulled her dragged her away. One by one we moved the does to the milkstand and clipped their collars to the nearby fence.

Now, the dog. She followed us into the goat pen and I shut the gate behind her. I wrapped my arms around her chest from behind and held her up, crooning sweet nothings in her ear while daughter removed the stitches on her belly. Finished! Whew!

Some days are like that, one thing escalates into another and chaos erupts, but eventually we get it back under control. It would be easy to get overwhelmed by the chaos. I've learned to focus on one thing at a time until I've restored order.

There's never a dull moment around here.

This post has been shared at some of my favorite blog hops.


My hope is to inspire you, and to encourage your homesteading plans and your dreams of a simple, self-reliant, God-dependent life. You can follow me at: 
  Facebook | Pinterest | Subscribe via email 


  1. I'm your neighbor this morning at Darling Downs link up, and was blessed by your peaceful account of caring for the creatures you love. Our St. Bernard, Tucker, sends his greetings and get well wishes to Rosie.

  2. Kathi at Oak Hill Homestead7:04 AM

    Michele, I'm so glad you stopped by. Thank you for visiting, and give Tucker a hug for us. You know what big dogs are like!

  3. Sounds like a normal day on the farm to me, Kathi! (-:


  4. Kathi at Oak Hill Homestead6:43 PM

    Fern, I didn't want to admit that this sort of thing happens regularly, if not quite everyday! :-)

  5. What a patient puppy! Hope your husband is recovering nicely too.

  6. Kathi at Oak Hill Homestead9:07 AM

    Thank you, Farmers Wife. I don't know if I'd call Rosie patient, she's puppy-hyper still. :-)

  7. Whew! I'm exhausted just reading about all of that. So glad all order has been restored! (At least for now-;0D)

  8. Kathi at Oak Hill Homestead8:15 PM

    Yes, Daisy - at least for now! :-D

  9. What a tine you had, sounds like a lot of fun ;-). Thank you for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

  10. It seems like there is always something coming up to challenge us a little, it sounds like it all went well.

  11. Kathi at Oak Hill Homestead7:26 AM

    All's well that ends well!


Thank you for stopping by. I hope you will leave a comment - I would love to hear from you. If you wish to email me instead, please click here. Thank you!