I have a love/hate relationship with my sewing machine. We just don't get along well. The last time I used it, the bobbin ran out and the machine refused to wind another (we've always been at odds about bobbin-winding). I gave in to frustration and
And so I considered a trip to Hancock Fabrics to buy bobbins and thread, throw myself on the mercy of the ladies who work there, and beg them to wind bobbins for me. Fortunately, I found a more dignified solution: I bought a SideWinder, a portable bobbin winder, on clearance at WalMart. Yay!
Then, I found my tin of sewing and quilting items. I'd had no idea where it was hiding, so this was a Good Thing. I bought new, sharp scissors. I chose a simple patchwork pattern. I bought fabric and cut it into squares.
Then there was no excuse to not get to work on the sewing. I challenged myself to finish the top of the quilt before our granddaughter comes for her summer visit later this month.
When I pulled out the machine to work on this project, I couldn't even find the power cord; after spending a great deal of time looking, I found it on a shelf in another room. I figured out how to use the SideWinder and wound a bobbin. I pinned the pieces together... and I started sewing. Actually, once I sat down and actually started working on it, I finished the patchwork in one afternoon. My back hurt for three days afterwards though; I should have shown more restraint.
I gave sneak peeks of the project on Facebook as I worked on it.
One more afternoon's work to sew on the strips around the edges to frame it and give it additional size, and the top will be finished! (Yes, I still have to add the backing and do the quilting, but that will be my "July project".)