Our Almost-Free Shed

Way back in August, hubby and I tore down a big shed in return for the materials.

We arrived at the site before 8:00 am so we could hopefully be finished before it got too hot. "Hot" in August in Oklahoma is a relative term. We lost a lot of weight in sweat that day, but we did finish before the heat of the day really set in.

After an hour or two our helper arrived. I was in charge of removing the screws on the metal panels, as far up as I could reach. The two men did the rest. We stacked all the metal on the trailer and took it home, unloaded it in the barnyard, and there it sat until November when hubby began feeling better and the weather had cooled down.

Hubby cleared the new site with the tractor, leveled it, and then began building the floor. Although the shed had been used as a garage in its previous life (above picture), we won't be parking in it, so a concrete floor isn't necessary. Hubby built a wooden floor instead.

By the way, I know for a fact that that floor will hold a horse's weight. One of them left obvious proof that he or she had been standing in the middle of the shed floor one morning. (Shhh. Don't tell hubby!)

We remade the shed smaller than it was originally. Yes, it would have been nice to have such a big space, but it's still bigger than what we had been going to purchase before we fell into this deal.

The two of us installed the bottom rails around the edges. We put the sides and roof frame pieces together and lifted them on top of the rails.  I held each one in place while hubby screwed them into the bottom rails.

We won't be using the overhead door; instead, we installed the walk-through door in the front side of the shed.

Roof panels are a challenge, especially in windy weather. This past weekend we had high winds forecast but when I went out to do the chores on Saturday morning the winds were calm. We started working immediately. The wind came up in the early afternoon but all we had left to do by then was the trim.


Our recycled shed cost us a bucket of screws plus the materials to construct the floor. We rented a longer trailer when we tore it down, because the metal panels were twenty-five feet long and our own trailer is only sixteen feet. The rental was about $75. And the value of our labor of course. Quite a bit of labor, but it was worth it. 

This post has been shared at some of my favorite blog hops.


My hope is to inspire you, and to encourage your homesteading plans and your dreams of a simple, self-reliant, God-dependent life. You can follow me at:
  Facebook | Pinterest | Subscribe